Please note, these rules are under constant development for optimum application in our events. Please check beck regularly to make sure you and your team are up to date with the latest rule modifications.
Last Edited: 2 March 2014
3-man – Players can play either in the division they are classified in or higher, but no higher ranking player can play in a lower ranking division. The exception is players playing in the Open Division which is open to players from all divisions, and is a “fun” division.
5-man- Players can play either in the division they are classified in or higher. A 5-man team can have 1 player from a division that is not more than 1 division higher than the division the team is playing in.
Players with previous tournament experience outside the SARPL can complete a Player Classification sheet to be classified for the correct division in the SARPL to play during the 2014 season.
PSP RULES – PLEASE NOTE: We are using the PSP rule-set and it is the responsibility of the players to read, study and understand the rule-set. Any league specific modifications to the PSP Rule-set will be listed here.
Download the 2013 PSP Rules here: DOWNLOAD NOW (1MB)
NO COACHING ALLOWED (3-MAN and 5-MAN)
The most important rule of the SARPL, is to have fun and enjoy the sport. If you come to the RPL ready to dominate all other teams and play unsportsmanlike, rather stay in bed that morning with some nice hot chocolate, until that feeling has passed ;-). Play hard, Play fair, and above all… Play Ball!
Captains meetings will be held at before the start of the event.
SARPL players will be classified according to the PSP Classification system. Your APPA score will define which is the lowest ranking division you can compete in at a SARPL event.
A rough guideline:
- Open Div (3-man only): Experienced players /pro’s
- SA Challengers / Champions Div: Experienced players / pro’s
- Div 3 (PSP): Experienced players
- Div 4 (PSP): Players with experience in the sport and have played at various regional/national tournament levels either completing a full season or not, but have not yet been classified at a higher division. This will be the highest division a player can achieve if they only play 3-man.
- Div 5 (PSP): Players with no or minimum experience in the sport and/or haven’t played at any national paintball tournament yet, or players with a ranking of D5 or lower.
- Div 6 (PSP) – Mechnical Markers only: New players with no experience, but that want to experience a paintball tournament. ROF – Semi Automatic with 200 paintballs per round limit and only using a mechanical marker.
For the Season Open Div, Challengers, Champion, Div 4 and Div 5 players competing in the SARPL tournaments/events must register as a player on the APPA ID System . The fees for competing in the SARPL tournaments/events during 2014 will be R450 for the year per player. Various benefits are included in the membership programme. This fee is payable whether a player plays 1 or more events in the SARPL for the season. We would like to see players commit to a season in the series and not just a single event.
Sand-baggers will be disqualified and banned from the league for the current season. Sand-Baggers are players that enter lower divisions in order to win. If you cheat, hit the street.
All divisions will be separated, ie. Div 4 play against Div 4. There will be times when fun games may be initiated outside of the tournament schedule depending on time and amount of players interested.
Unique Information/Rules applying to Challengers / Champions Division
- When playing in the Challengers/Champions division it will still be scored at D2.
- Although teams are competing in two divisions these two divisions are effectively one “pro” division which has been modified to create a more competitive/spectator inviting environment.
- The winning team from Challengers will be competing in the Champions division at the next event and the losing team of the Champions division will be competing in the Challengers division at the next event. Seeding will be over both divisions. Example 8 teams the top 4 seeded will be Champions / bottom 4 seeded will be Challengers. Scores for teams will be allocated accordingly.
- Total Game time will be 10 minutes
- Format: Race-to-3
- ROF: 12.5bps PSP Ramping
- Roster size is 15 people
- No more than 10 players (2 players from 1 higher division)
- No more than 10 staff
- At least 3 players on the roster must be the same from the one event to the next
- A team will not be allowed to use a player at Paintball Super Cup that did not compete in at least one of the current season events during the year prior to Super Cup
- At Event 1 all the teams committed to the season will be playing in one group and will be seeded at the event for the remaining events by means of a 50/50 split. In the case of an uneven number the bigger group will be playing in Challengers at the next event.
- At the end of each event the winners of the Challengers Division will receive a cash prize as well as the winners of the Champions division. The amount will depend on the number of teams that commit to the season
- The winners of the Challengers division as well as Champions division will each receive a FREE entry into the next 5-man event.
- The Season Champion winners will receive a cash prize excluding other potential prizes from sponsors.
- Teams will start on the AWAY pits (opposite side from the team name on the schedule) and will switch sides on odd points. Teams will stay at the same side if there was a no point.
- 2 min break time between points and 1 time-out per game.
- A team may throw the towel to stop the game time and allocate the point to the opposing team.
- Game Rules/Penalties will be the same as for Race-to 4/5 as in the PSP Rulebook
- Teams competing in the Challengers/Champions division must commit to all the season events (5) – 4 in Gauteng and Paintball Super Cup.
- We request that teams playing in these divisions set the example for lower div teams on/off the field. A zero tolerance policy will be followed this season for teams competing in these divisions.
SPORTSMANSHIP AND RESPECT FOR THE SPORT:
The SARPL expects all teams to have respect for the sport of paintball and their fellow paintballers. Teams that are unruly, use abusive behavior or language, are reported and confirmed to have caused trouble in any way for the venue, area, hotels etc., are subject to sanctions, penalties and possible expulsion from the event.
- 3-Man (Race-to-2): Teams are made up of three players, plus a maximum of 2 reserves.
- 3-man (Race-to-3): Teams are made up of three players, plus a maximum of 5 reserves (no more than 8 players). Additional non-playing staff will be allowed.
- 5-Man (Race-to-2): Teams are made up of 5 players, plus a maximum of 3 reserves (no more than 8 players). Additional non-playing staff will be allowed as per the PSP rules (no more than 12 people on the roster)
- 5-man (Race-to-3): Teams are made up of 5 players, plus a maximum of 5 reserves (no more than 10 players). Additional non-playing staff will be allowed as per the PSP rules (no more than 15 people on the roster)
3-Man: Coaching from the sides of the field by players, coaches or otherwise is not permitted. penalties will apply.
5-man: Coaching from the sides of the field by players, coaches or otherwise is not permitted. penalties will apply.
Spectators: Spectators may shout out in support but may not use player names or positions of opposing players in their chants. Please ensure that your team communicate this to any spectators that may be inclined to do so, and ask the referees to assist in this matter as either team could be affected by this.
SARPL 3-man Field Size: 28m x 36m, with a preferred 3m boundary around the playing field
SARPL 5-man Field Size: 36m x 46m, with a preferred 3m boundary around the playing field
Race2-x, Round Robin or a combination of any of these formats may be used for game schedules depending on the amount of teams and time in the day.
Race-to-x Format: Teams will play in a race-2-x format, meaning they will be grouped in brackets of 5. Each team will play 4 prelim games and depending on the amount of teams entered in the division the competition will the proceed to quarters, semi’s and finals. The number of rounds and games depends on the number of team entries and time available on the day. Each match is made up of three games played in a race to 2 up to race to 7 format depending on the day, the first team to reach the specified win limit of games, wins that match. Unless specified otherwise at the team meetings, total game time are 3 minutes (3-man) or 5 minutes (5-man) with 1-2 minute between games for podding up and cleaning – hustle hustle hustle!
WIN LOSS TIE (SARPL RULING)
All games are either Win, Loss or Tie/No-point.
To win the game a team must eliminate all the opposing team players “OR” a “clean” player must terminate the game by hanging the flag by touching the buzzer or touch the opponents starting screen with the flag in hand (depending on the facility) within the time limit.
A centre flag will be on the field and a “clean” player need to get the flag and touch the opposing teams start station or buzzer to win the point. If shot while in possession of the flag it must be dropped where the player was shot and another live player can pick it up to complete the game. A player that is shot while in possession of the flag must drop the flag at the point where he/she was shot.
The player that terminates a round will be checked by the referees after terminating the game (at which point all players must preferably freeze until the referees call the game over). If the player is discovered to have been marked/hit, this constitutes a “dirty” termination/hang and a no point will be given as well as an corresponding penalty minute (1 min for unobvious hit and 2 min for a obvious hit) will apply.
If there are teams tied at the end of a Division that are in point earning positions for the day a sequence is set out in the PSP manual how teams will be seeded.
It is the responsibility of the team to make sure they have enough paint to complete the events for the day or they will forfeit the remaining games if they can’t continue to play.
- 3-man Race-to-2 – 3 minute game time
- 3-man Race-to-3 – 6min total game time back-to-back games (2min breaks between points)
- 5-man Race-to-2 – 5 minute game time
- 5-man Race-to-3 – 10 min total game time back-to-back games (2min breaks between points)
Game times on the schedule will fluctuate according to how fast games are handled, the faster the better.
Each game is started with 2 whistles or the buzzer. A ten second warning will be given either verbally or by a single whistle before the buzzer or second whistle blows and the game starts. Division teams break out from a starting screen or starting bunker. The barrels of all players must be touching the starting screen/bunker before the second whistle is blown. If a player does not have his/her barrel touching the starting screen when the second whistle blows, that player will be eliminated.
- RSA (Challengers, Champions, Div 4/5)
- 3-Man: 12.5bps, PSP ramping
- 5-Man: 12.5bps, PSP ramping
- 3-Man: 12.5bps, PSP ramping
- RSA (Div 6)
- 3-Man: 12.5bps, mechanical, semi-auto
- 3-Man: 12.5bps, mechanical, semi-auto
Velocity: Maximum velocity of 300FPS. Not negotiable. If you’re marker’s chrono speed is above 300FPS, you must correct it before you will be allowed to enter the playing field. Check your equipment properly between games. PSP Ruling states that certain penalities can be enforced if your marker is over 300FPS during/after a game. Please check your marker before entering the field.
Division players can use any recognized marker as long as it conforms to the ASTM ROF/BPS and FPS regulations.
Medals are given for 1st to 3rd at every event, and season points are awarded to all participating teams/players.
All other prizes, sponsored or otherwise, will be handed out to the various category winners or additional prizes for the day will beraffled or randomly handed out and teams must be present in order to win prizes.
- Divisions with 15 or more teams entered for event: 1st – Free Entry to next event, 2nd and 3rd Half Entry to next event
- Divisions with 9-14 teams entered for event: 1st/2nd – Half Entry
Category Prizes sponsored by a specific brand:
- Blades and Triggers Move of the Day Award
- Fastest Game Time Award
- Sportsmanship Award
- Most Improved Team Award
- Referee of the Event Award
A Special prize may be given at the end of every year for the team/players that displayed the following qualities during the season.
- Most Valued Player
- Most dedicated player of the year
- Most improved team of the year
- Provincial/National Champions
Provincial and National Champions
Teams playing in their respective provinces will be ranked in their province and will stand a chance to be crowned provincial champions in their respective division in their province.
The top 3 scores from a team, whether they played in their province or nationally, including the Super Cup event score will count towards a teams national ranking where the top 3 scores from a team played in their province, including the Super Cup event score will count towards a teams provincial ranking. Please note that Super Cup is a double point event.
Players must conform to the rules of the SARPL and it’s sponsors or hosting fields with regards to paintballs. Support the fields that are hosting tournaments for you. All Official SARPL events are OWN PAINT events. Any paint from a paint sponsor of the SARPL will be allowed. It is the Hosting field’s responsibility to ensure that paint is fresh and sold at a fair price for tournaments and not at normal field prices. If there is a specific paint you need, check if the hosting field sells it or bring it to the event yourself. Sponsored teams are welcome to use their sponsored paint at the events.
Only water based (P.E.G + water + dye) non-staining paintballs are allowed. No WHITE, RED, ORANGE or PINK fills will be allowed.
We (the SARPL) reserve the right to ban any paint that we deem unsuitable for the field or tournament. The hosting field may also ban any paint that is considered a problem due to staining etc.
RPL South Africa